Friday, November 28, 2008

True Thanksgiving

Recently I was invited to preach this coming Sunday, 11/30, at a small, rural church outside of Shepherdsville, KY happily named Sunnyside Baptist Church. Being the Sunday after Thanksgiving, it didn't take me long to decide what to preach on. I had been meditating on Psalm 100 (A Psalm for Giving Thanks) before I received the invitation, so when I heard the date I immediately knew my sermon text.

Thanksgiving is a great holiday. I like it because it is much less captive to consumerism, it is outward focused - showing gratitude for life's many blessings, AND it's yummy (oh how I miss my Grandma Rosemary's cinammon rolls)! It gives people an opportunity to contemplate all that they have to be thankful for and hopefully acknowledge that those good gifts come from someone other than themselves. I am always prayerful that those who do not believe might realize that all the wonderful blessings they have received come from a Gracious Giver who showers his gifts on both the righteous and the unrighteous (Acts 14:16-17). I hope that they see that these blessings came from God and that they might turn and respond to him in praise and adoration. After all, that's the purpose of the holiday, is it not?

Thanksgiving Day is a time in which we should show gratitude to our gracious Father, yet if we just stop at thanking God for the blessings we have received from him without worshipping him for who he is, we have not been truly thankful. We must be careful not to relish in the gifts, without glorifying the Giver. This was all to clear to me as I was preparing my sermon on Psalm 100. The entire passage is focused on God, with barely a mention of the gifts received (we are his people, the sheep of his pasture). The Psalmist instructs us that true thanksgiving comes from a recognition that God is king over all, a realization that we belong to Him, and a reliance upon his perfect character. In other words, true thanksgiving comes not from gratitude for his gifts, but from a true knowledge of God. It is a real, intimate, trust-filled knowledge of God that results in genuine gratitude, not in a deep appreciation for his blessings. We are truly thankful when we truly know God and confess him as Lord over our lives. The result of this authentic adoration, according to Psalm 100, is joyful proclamation, glad service, and exuberant praise. Our thanksgiving does not stop at words but results in God-glorifying action. We are pleased to do God's will because we find our delight in him. We trust in his sovereignty and flawless nature and therefore gladly submit ourselves to him, regardless of our current circumstances. Despite pain and sorrow, failure and unmet expectations, we can rejoice because we have received the greatest possible blessing. We have received God.

Do you find yourself unsatisfied? Do you feel joyless and ungrateful? Is it hard for you to whole-heartedly worship God? It may sound simplistic, stony, or stupid, but true thanksgiving comes from a true knowledge of God. Joy and gladness will come if you seek the Lord. Satisfaction cannot be found in our reveling in our gifts. Instead, our hearts are truly happy when we delight in the Giver. It is to this end that we were created.

Please pray for me as I preach this Sunday. To God be the glory!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I checked out your blog recently. I truely enjoy it. I wish you would come preach at our church. The church outside of Ky is so LUCKY---even though I dont believe in luck, just good providence. I cant figure out how to use it in a sentence ha ha. I'm on a search committee at a VERY RURAL church dying a slow spiritual death! pray for us. I love your blogs

Chet Daniels said...

Jeff,

I really appreciate your comment and that you read my blog. My hope is that I might be a good steward of the wonderful truths God has graciously placed in my sluggish mind and callous heart. Where is your church? I'll be praying for it.