Friday, December 19, 2008

Open Hands

It's funny what the Lord brings to mind. In my quiet time today I was meditating on the ever-present, all-sufficient, powerful grace God gives his people, enabling them to carry out his will. As I read passage after passage, I was both awed and humbled by the immediacy and availability of God's provision for every aspect of my life. First Corinthians 15:10 says: "
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me." In 2 Corinthians 9:8 Paul says: "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work." What a great and glorious promise! God is continually giving me the grace I need to do his will!

By now you are probably thinking to yourself, "Duh Chet, that is neither new nor funny," but bear with me. I'm in a season of life in which I need to make BIG decisions. We are at the end of seminary and questions regarding our future are a daily and immediate reality. As I was praying today about where the Lord is leading us I was becoming very anxious. What obstacles will we encounter? How will I provide for my family? Am I cut out for this? Should I take the safe route and be wise and prudent, or should I risk heavily for Christ? I was worried. I was fearful. I was loosing sight of grace. Though I have heard this message time and again, I needed to hear the promise of God's ever-present power. This truth fell on me like a waterfall, washing away the burden of my anxiety. God's grace is not just his unmerited favor to pardon me from my sin, but is present with me right now, and will be with me, making me adequate, strengthening me to be sufficient for the task that he has given me, as long as I remain needy, bankrupt, and utterly dependent upon him. What peace, what joy I experienced in that moment.

Now to the "funny" part (interesting, ironic, not ha-ha). As I finished praying, the first thing that caught my attention was my hands: they were palms up. With eyes fixed upon my right hand, I slowly turned it to a handshake ready position. It was in that moment that I realized something that was profound. This was the way I was holding my hand toward the will of God! A vertical, outstretched, open hand seems inviting, receptive, ready to embrace what is placed within it. It appears enthusiastic, willing, welcoming, but it is conditional. In order to truly receive, the object must first be placed and held within my hand and then I have to decide to wrap my fingers around it. I can receive it only if it placed and remains in the position where I have set my hand IF I should so choose to grasp it. It might seem eager, it might appear willing, but it is no way to receive anything from God.

If I am to obtain anything from above my palms must face upward. If I am to embrace God's will for my life and His grace to walk in it my hands must be open, outstretched, and up. God's grace raining down from above cannot be collected by a vertical hand. It will slip right off the palm. Open hands with palms toward the heavens are ready to receive whatever the Lord should give, willing to receive blessing or to be bound for the sake of Christ. This is the position my hand needs to be in that I might receive grace upon grace to fulfill his will for me. These are hands truly open to God.

What position are your hands in? Are your palms up? If not, where are they? In your pockets, hiding from God? Are your fists clinched in rebellion against him? Are you pointing your finger at God to accuse him of some unjust deed or to make demands of him? Are your hands in that handshake ready position, appearing to be willing to embrace what he will give, but in reality you are willing to let his grace slip by? Or will you turn your palms to heaven, and like St. Augustine say: "Give what you command, and command what you will." God's grace is sufficient. God's grace is our great reward.

1 comment:

Megan Elkins said...

Thanks for this post. Praying you risk heavily for our our Lord and our Joy. Thanking God that He is all-sufficient for you! Meg